The 83 Degrees Media
team takes a ride along the Hillsborough River with eboats Tampa
business owner Josh Dohring, talking about developments in downtown Tampa and the natural beauty that form the urban environment we call home.
Here are some things we saw and recommend you see:
- Dolphins — The bottle-nosed variety love to swim alongside, slap their tails and jump out of the water as they follow electric boats quietly gliding through the water.
- Architecture — From the Tampa Museum of Art to the Tampa Convention Center to the Amalie Arena to the Tampa Bay History Center to the Florida Aquarium to Tampa General Hospital and all the towering skyscrapers hovering overhead, an eclectic mix of buildings and design represent the past, present and future.
- Birds — Herons, gulls and pelicans most frequently, song birds and migrating feathered friends as well swoop overhead and land in the most unpredictable places.
- Rowing teams — College and professional teams and just plain folks are out on the river rowing to the beat of a drum and sometimes singing along as they glide between the river banks painted with colorful graffiti showcasing the diversity of teams who practice here.
- Tampa Riverwalk — Wave hello as pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders and runners find their groove along the partially covered concrete ribbon curling around the city’s waterfront.
- Boat docks — Floating docks are being built at Waterworks Park near Ulele restaurant. Other docks exist near the Columbia Cafe at the History Center, near Jackson’s on Harbour Island, near Sono Cafe at Curtis Hixon Park, near the Waterside Grill at the Waterside Marriott and near The Sail by the Convention Center. Pull up to a dock and stay awhile.
- UT — The University of Tampa minarets are a symbol of our historic past in the midst of a modern urban campus that is growing beyond its founders’ dreams.
- Cruise ships — Hardly a day goes by that doesn’t welcome a cruise ship and its global passengers into town. Seeing one in port puts the space you occupy into perspective.
- Harbour Island / Davis Islands / Bayshore Boulevard — Take a gander at some of Tampa’s top choices in urban apartments, townhouses, condos and single-family homes along the Hillsborough Bay waterfront.
- Sunset — Look to the west at dusk to begin to see one of the most spectacular views on earth as the sun sets behind the skyline beaming out shades of pinks and oranges and yellows and greens and blues and purples you can’t find in any child’s crayon box.
- Lights on Tampa — Keep going until after dark to journey back under the Lights of Tampa illuminating downtown Tampa’s bridges and tall buildings.
- Only then can you call it a day well spent in paradise.