The spring festival season continues in May throughout the Tampa Bay Area, with a number of outdoor art-related activities scheduled for Mother’s Day weekend.
Tampa’s first International Fringe Festival, described by Festival Producer Trish Parry as a “big crazy party,” comes to Ybor City May 11-14. Curiosity seekers can get a sneak peek at the Fringe Preview, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. May 10 at CL Space.
The festival, which features 90 events at six Ybor locations, was started by David Jenkins, co-founder of Jobsite Theater; along with William Glenn and Parry, all University of South Florida alumni. Ticket prices range from $5 to $13 for performances in stand-up, dance, theatre, improvisation, storytelling, and other genres.
“It’s really hard core on Saturday. You could see nine shows,” says Parry, a storyteller. “There’s definitely like a party atmosphere that we hope to cultivate.”
At Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park in downtown Tampa, Mother’s Day Jazz in the Park is planned from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. May 14. The event by Tampa Bay Black Heritage Festival also includes arts and crafts, a children’s tent and more.
In Sarasota, the fourth annual Arts in the Park, featuring the Sarasota Orchestra, is slated at 8 p.m. May 12 and 13 at Ed Smith Stadium, 2700 12th Street.
On Lake Morton in downtown Lakeland, MIDFLORIDA Mayfaire by-the-Lake 2017 will feature some 160 artists from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 13 and 14. The Polk Museum of Art is calling for volunteers for the event to include local musicians and dance companies, a children’s art tent, and food and beverage vendors.
In St. Petersburg, the Broadway musical Hairspray is being performed at Demens Landing Park. In May shows are at 8 p.m. May 3 through 7 and May 10 to 14 at Demens Landing Park; the park opens at 6 p.m. American Stage in the Park, which features musicals and comedies under the stars, began in 1986.
Here are some other events.
- Artwalk Weekend kicks off at 6 p.m. May 5 and ends at 4 p.m. May 6 at Village of the Arts, 1113 12th St. W., Bradenton.
- Streetcar Live, a concert on the Tampa streetcar, is scheduled from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. May 6. It features Dean Johanesen and The 24 Hour Men, an Americana Swing group.
- The Firehouse Cultural Center in Ruskin is hosting Phil Provenzano and the Jazz Xperience from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. May 6. Clean Comedy is slated May 19, followed by TBone Hamilton and the Blues All Stars May 20.
- Sunsets at Pier 60 on the beach at Clearwater, which includes arts and crafts around sunset, runs daily. Learn more.
- A Pop-up Art Market is planned from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. May 27 in conjunction with Fourth Saturday of the Month Art Walk at the Pinellas Arts Village in Pinellas Park. "We’re growing it. We’ve got some great vendors who have been very popular," says Debra Rose, Pinellas Park's Library and Cultural Affairs Administrator.