Great skills and training are necessary to compete well in the job market. Even with both, you might be at a disadvantage without the right connections. That’s where job fairs can help.
“It really is about getting in there and meeting those recruiters, and starting to build that network,” says Peter Thorsett, Communications and Marketing Officer for Career Services at the University of South Florida in Tampa. “Then you have a connection. That’s what pays the dividend.”
Jobseekers may be tempted to write off a job fair not perfectly aligned with their career objectives. That can be a mistake. A job fair connection you cultivate now may, at the least, be able to put you in touch with someone who will hire you.
“Now you can look that person up on Linkedin,” Thorsett says. “It’s those little bitty steps that people sometimes miss.”
Plan to bring your resume, rehearse your pitch ahead of time, and dress appropriately to get the most out of jobs fairs. Here’s a list of some job fairs in the Tampa Bay area.
• Tampa Bay Job Fair - Career Bowl 2017 is between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Tuesday [Jan. 31, 2017] at Tampa Marriott Westshore. The event is free to jobseekers, who may be hired at the event by FloridaJobLink.
• The Galen College of Nursing Career Fair is between 10 a.m. and noon Tuesday [Jan.31] at 11101 Roosevelt Blvd. N. in St. Petersburg. Visit to explore job opportunities with Sarasota Memorial Health Care System. The 819-bed regional medical center is one of the largest employers in Sarasota County.
• USF is holding its Spring 2017 Career and Internship Fair Week Wednesday [Feb 1], an all majors day; Thursday [Feb. 2], for science, technology, engineering and math careers; and Friday [Feb.3], for accounting careers.
• Greater Tampa Career Fair by Jobertising.com is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 6 at DoubleTree by Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore. General admission is free.
• A number of nursing job fairs are scheduled by Kindred Health Care. Registered Nurse RN Job Fairs are planned at 10 a.m. Feb. 15 at Kindred Hospital-Central Tampa, 10 a.m. Feb. 20 at Kindred Hospital Bay Area-St. Petersburg, and 4 p.m. Feb. 22 at Kindred Hospital Bay Area-Tampa.
Additionally, the 2017 College of Nursing Career Expo is slated from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Feb. 15 in the College of Nursing Atrium at USF in Tampa.
• Those seeking jobs in sales, business development, marketing, customer service and retail and sales management jobs can connect with potential employers at the Tampa Job fair by UnitedCareerFairs from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 20 at Doubletree by Hilton Tampa Westshore Airport. Jobseekers are greeted with a formal presentation by each company, followed by an opportunity to meet employers and other job candidates. Organizers suggest you arrive on time (early is OK too) with 10 to 15 resumes in hand. Admission is free to jobseekers.
• Tampa Career Fair is set for 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Hilton at 2225 N. Lois Ave. This is a chance to meet local, regional and Fortune 500 employers. Organizers suggest you bring at least eight to 10 resumes, and plan to be interviewed. The event is free to jobseekers.
• If you looking for internships, consider the Internship Hiring Event from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. April 4 at Doubletree Westshore. Visit CareerSource Tampa Bay
• A Job News Lakeland Job Fair is slated from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 7 at The Lakeland Center, 701 W. Lime St. Jobseekers have free admission and free parking.